Saturday, January 15, 2011

Positive aspect of negative thinking

Day 1 after my language test. As you may remember I was talking here about waving fists, asking for your encouranging words and best luck wishes.
Now, dear readers, I feel obliged to let you know how it went. For starters there were no fists waved whatsoever, I only waved hello and two hours later I waved goodbye. The time inbetween made me want to say something positive after all my complaints and whining, negative thinking really makes room for positive surprises:

It was an overall pleasant experience as I was treated very nicely and I would like to give the clerks at testi piste an A+ for friendliness and service. You really don´t get that vibe when being "invited" to the test, they make it sound as if you could choose freely wether to go there or not. But let´s not kid ourselves, reading between the lines you just know you´re in trouble when rejecting.

I was a bit on my toes on my arrival and was only spoken to in Finnish but to my surprise I could understand very well what I was asked to do. A nice lady checked me in and forwarded me to another friendly clerk with whom I had a little conversation. In Finnish! Of course the level of sophistication was rudimentary but so what! I was really happy to realize that there was a communication going on. The guy gave me the opportunity to answer in English when I should be out of vocabulary or ask him to repeat himself in English when I shouldn´t understand him at all. Fair enough. I had to do some listening exercises and was checked on my pronounciation when he had me read a small text to him. He was delighted with the result.

For the actual test I was then led to another room. The test included a writing part (description of a picture), a part about reading comprehension and another one about spelling (not Tori, har har!). But the best of the test by far were the logics and maths parts. Yes, logics and maths in a language test!
I had already been prepared for this by a former kurssi kaveri. She told me that the "arithmic problems" are so basic that it´s laughable. Even the nice clerk asked me not to laugh when getting started with the math business. He explained that it´s unfortunately necessary because the idea of the test is also to check how placeble you are on the job market. Seems they have had people coming there claiming to have studied 12 years of rocket science and then those brainiacs can´t solve something like 5 x 0,2 or 18 divided by 9 (these are actual examples!) I have always felt like a total imbecile concerning maths but this was a challenge I could take! Ha! 

The whole thing went fine and when I returned my papers the clerk said: "Goodbye, it was nice to meet you!" in a tone that made me really believe him. I left the building in good mood and am waiting now for a letter which might spoil it. But I don´t think about that now!

SONG FOR THE DAY:

New Model Army - I love the world

5 comments:

Ardo said...

Happy to hear it went so good for you. But lets hope that theres a mail carriers strik comming on soon, so the letter wouldnt come so fast :D

habermas said...

Til lykke and Congratulations from Ronja and Dietmar!!!

JottEff said...

Kiitos paljon...I mean, mange tak!

Hell Zinki said...

Juut Jemaat! Hörens, dat klingt doch nach ner´ äschte Miesterleistung! Jratulation ! Vittu ne, kana! Beste, Fränkie !

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Happy to read that it went well. You made it with courage from your bravest friends waiting outside for the end.

El Morriso