Friday, November 12, 2010

1 + 1 = 0

Did a lot of thinking lately. Isn´t it funny how big things become small from a distance? In some cases it´s even the other way around. This kind of perspective doesn´t make sense geometrically but cognitively it does, at least to me. It can be a difference in time or space which makes you see things differently. For example: your view on your home country. Being no patriotic person at all, past, present and future, especially in my adolescence I wasn´t a big fan of Germany, to say the least. I still am not but today I´m far away from my teenage mindset that everything is more interesting and better, brighter, (  fill in comparative  ) elsewhere.

Touring and travelling abroad did not only enlighten me about ars vivendi in other countries, it also opened my eyes to the good sides of Germany. And it definetely has its good sides. Certain advantages I never paid much attention to because they have to do with rather small things and I took these things for granted. What else do you do when you don´t know anything about the world from first hand experience? I made my experiences over the years, the small things grew in size from a distance and I learned to value them. Today I can honestly say that I like Germany, nothing more and nothing less. Then again - what´s good, what´s bad? Human beings tend to be lazy, so good means for most of them something they know or are used to, their qualitative parameters are determined by force of habit. I can´t really claim to be an exception to that rule myself. So is the conclusion that when something doesn´t exist in another country that you call "good" in your own - then this is "bad"? Well, simple minds might think so, I think this assertion is bullshit and I just call it "different". Just to calm down anybody who is afraid of the word "different" and thus might get the mad idea that I use it in a disparaging way:
Again this is bullshit. I have positive associations to the word, in fact I somehow like to think of myself as being exactly that. What was the opposite of "different" again? "Same", that´s what it was and depending on the context it equals "boring" in my book.

Now guess what: I just discovered something that is in a way different yet somehow the same and it´s pretty, pretty bad in both Germany and Finland. Let´s embrace each other in harmony and unity because both our systems suck!

                                        Case study #1, Germany:


Civil servant: "Well, you are actually not entitled to get any financial support from us. You are young, healthy, intelligent and speak the language, you are not married and you don´t have any children. I can get you a job at McDonalds immediately. Then you will be able to pay your bills."

Person X: "But I haven´t learned two occupations to end up making burgers for a minimum wage. I just need some support for the time I´m applying for proper jobs."

Civil servant: "Sorry, no can do. You have to take on any kind of job. You are young and bla bla bla..."

Person Y: "So does that mean that if Person X would have lots of children, would not be able to speak the language and would have no talents whatsoever, Person X would get financial support?"

Civil servant: "Well, eem...eer, yes."

Person Y: "Thanks for nothing and goodbye!"


                                        Case study #2, Finland:


Civil servant: "I see here that you are voluntarily taking part in an intensive language course which is not organized by us. According to Finnish law that makes you a student. Students are not entitled to get any financial support from us. If you visit one of our courses it´s possible but they are all full and the lines are long. Maaaaaaybe next January..."

Person Z: "But I´m paying this intensive course myself to learn the language asap, also in order to be more employable on the job market. It´s pretty tough finding a job with my current Finnish skills. Any kind of job!"

Civil servant: "Sorry, no can do. We appreciate your effort but if it´s not one of our courses you don´t get anything. If you would quit your course though..."

Person Z: " Are you telling me that if I would quit my course and would not learn the language to be more employable on the job market but just sit at home doing nothing, then I would get financial support from you?"

Civil servant: "Well, eem...eer, yes."

Person Z: "Where´s the door, I´m leaving!"

Call me one-dimensional, call me polemical, call me what you will but being an eye witness of both case studies (and rest assured, they were only the tip of the iceberg) I say:

                                        FUCK THE SYSTEM(S)!

In case study #2 the civil servant even called the system illogical herself and apologized at least three times for what she had to tell person Z. I know that this doesn´t represent the whole system of either country, I know it´s not all black and white. But if person Z isn´t entitled to anything, I think person Z should be allowed to let off steam.

Yours truly,
                   Person Z     Person Y     JottEff


POST SCRIPTUM:

I would like to hear your opinion about this.
Any similar experiences out there?
Do you think someone is complaining on a high level over here?

Pro or contra, I don´t care - But leave a comment!

SONG FOR TODAY (naturally):

The Exploited - Fuck the system

No comments: