Friday, January 6, 2012

Five finger feedback

Today´s Loppiainen (epiphany / Dreikönigsfest) makes this a day off, so I got time to hammer my five finger feedback for 2011 into my keypad. Here we go:

THUMB:


Up
Edupoli
Työharjoittelu
Summer in Germany
My band

Down
No steady job
Can´t get my head around this language



INDEX FINGER:

Actually Opus Eponymous doesn´t qualify as it was released already in October 2010. I discovered the band though in early 2011 and ever since it has dominated my playlist. Much has been said about Ghost´s Merciful Fate/BOC melange and their ooky spooky image but what makes this record a keeper is the band´s musical craftsmanship! Tons of poppy melodies, harmonies and hooks. The instruments are arranged smartly, the two guitars e.g. rarely play unisono. Combined with that cool organ this adds a lot of depth and color to the songs. Plus a little devil worship is always cool!


Ghost - Satan Prayer



Out of the ashes of Blessure Grave arose Soft Kill, who aren´t far away from their prodecessor musically. T. Grave just replaced girlfriend Reyna K. with Shiloe and updated the Joy Division influence to an New Order influence. Less lo-fi, more pop appeal - also more power and energy! Great wave/ post punk tunes that sometimes even sound, dare I say, uplifting? Well, I guess this ship has sailed as Shiloe is also history now. Soft Kill will carry on nevertheless, which is good news. Anyway, An Open Door is one of the best eighties records, only that it saw the light of day in 2011.


Soft Kill - From this point on



Fuck horror punk, this is horror..er..um..I don´t know. Lonesome´s original band Those Poor Bastards play some kind of trashy horror country and his solo releases followed the same path. But his new output Heartsick? Very dirgy, almost tradional songs with an utterly dark atmosphere (except the track "Going Crazy"), everything here feels old, dusty and full of disease. Only a few instruments were used on this record such as piano, organ, guitar and ukulele. Over all hovers the sad and echo-drenched voice of Wyatt- truly haunting! For me this is his best work up until now.


Lonesome Wyatt & the Holy Spooks - There is Nothing



An interesting blend of hardcore and, yes, post punk, is what the debut album by these Norwegians has to offer. Late love is a very rhythmic and yet melodic album. Arpeggiated chords followed by blunt stop-on-a-dime riffs, vocals are aggressive but very melodic with a lot of room to develop the melancholic atmosphere that sets the tone for this record. For a while I wasn´t sure wether I like this album or not cause its merits are also its flaws. The band gets somewhat repetitive throughout the songs which leaves the hint of a lame aftertaste. Still my tastebuds are pretty pleased!


Wolves Like Us - Deathless




MIDDLE FINGER:

Perussuomalaiset
Racism in Finland and everywhere else
Yksikön ja monikon partitiivi



RING FINGER:

Bernd & Moni
Minna & Jaana



PINKY:

Teuvo Loman (Helsinki City Boy)

That was my five finger feedback for 2011.
2012, show me what you got!

2 comments:

Edo said...

nice! May I suggest another choice for the pinky?
Take a look to "Laakso - Italy vs Helsinki" and listen to the very ispirated lyrics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5OPu5kfAkY

Edo

Ps. Happy new year!

JottEff said...

Holy shit, Edo!
If I would have known Laakso before writing my feedback they would have been my definite choice for pinky! Thanks for the link, best scene was the Jesus on the cross/in the sauna part. Un-be-lie-vable!

..and a happy new year!