Thursday, January 12, 2012

Rain, rain go away


Nothing much to say, so let´s talk about the weather. Do you know the Spongebob Squarepants episode where Plankton is fooling around with Mr. Krabs´ thermostat?
The weather conditions in Helsinki are quite like that at the time. We´re constantly rotating around the freezing mark which I think is pretty annoying. Snow-rain-ice-rain, snow-rain-ice-rain and everything is either slippery as a dirty limerick or a slushy mess like a bad joke. The snow just doesn´t last. Christmas was black instead of white christmas.

Screw you, Bing Crosby - the temperature difference in Pori amounted to almost 30 (thirty!) degrees compared to last year´s holidays. I´m being ask on a regular basis by my fellow Germans "Is it very cold over there?" "Do you have lots of snow?" "Is it -50 yet?" Well, I made the last one up but my point is: The answer to all these questions is NO and it bums me out.

I feel fooled. Lured into an alleged Winterwonderland that didn´t keep its promise. For the record, most of the time Lapland does deliver what it has promised but that´s a day trip away. Let´s face it: I´m a spoiled brat. I moved to Finland in 2010 during an historic summer that was followed by a damn cold and long lasting winter. And boy, did I like it.
I want my winter and I WANT IT NOW!

2 comments:

Elena said...

I feel the same way. It didn't help that it was totally snow-less and warmish where I'm from in the US, too. Lappeenranta has had quite a lot of snow dumped on it in the last week or so though, and I couldn't be happier. Winter wonderland indeed! Here's hoping Helsinki will follow.

JottEff said...

Looks like my whining paid off, this weekend has been quite winter-like, hope it stays like that for a while now. Thanks for the good vibes from Lappeenranta!