Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Grey matter


As I am writing these lines, there are only a few clouds in the sky and the sunlight makes for a beautiful day. This has been a rare sensation as of late. Many days presented themselves as grey, heavy mess with drizzling and cement-like skies. If you are predisposed to melancholy, this overpowering grey can give you the blues. And then it isn´t very beneficial for your mood either that the days are constantly getting shorter this time of year.

When I broke the news to family and friends back in Germany that I am moving to Finland, some of their reactions reflected certain misconceptions. "But it´s always dark there!"
Some had heard about the Finnish summer and seemed to reduce the local seasons to exactly two: summer (sunshine 24/7) and winter (eternal night). Combined with the remaining two stereotypes about Finland known to many German minds - alcohol and suicide - (sorry Finns, I know your list about Germany is long, but that´s all there is) my plans earned sometimes frowns and raised eyebrows.

On a side note: I think stereotypes are merely indicators for certain tendencies. They absolutely fail to take into account individualism and thus can sometimes not be farther away from the truth. But I digress...

Who knows me well knows that I am no stranger to melancholy, a fact that induced some of those reactions. I told all them who worried that when it hits me, it just hits me. I can be all happy happy, joy joy on a rainy day and mope about in the summer sun. The weather conditions can of course boost or dampen emotions that are already in effect but weather itself is hardly ever the sole reason for me getting the blues. Anyway, even many Finns
don´t like November - because it´s mostly dark, grey, rainy and it gives them the blues, ha!

Everybody waits for the first snow to fall, nature´s remedy for mental and environmental darkness. As soon as the land is covered in white, nobody cares anymore about the few hours (or minutes) of sunlight. The snow makes a real difference as it lights up everything. And when that´s not enough, switch on your light therapy lamp and treat yourself with up to 10000 lux of happiness.

Utsjoki, a muncipality located in Northern Lapland, is already by now bathed in only twilight. Needless to say, the sensation of permanent darkness increases direction north, getting closer and closer to the polar circle. Said Utsjoki is the most northern aria on Finnish territory but it´s also more that 1000 kilometers away from Helsinki and me, so I am never exposed to such extremes, be it summer or winter.

Somehow funny: with my mid-European mindset I like to think of myself as living in the high north. Almost the whole of Finland can only laugh at this assumption.
Helsinki is one of the most southern cities in the country.

SONGS FOR TODAY:

Visage - Fade to grey


Agent Orange - Everything turns grey

2 comments:

Dani said...

Hier ist es grade nicht wirklich besser .... wir hatten gefühlte 3 Monate dicksten Nebel... ok, es waren ca. 1 1/2 Wochen, aber das reichte echt. Zu viel Nebel ist noch schlimmer als grau ....
Ich warte auch auf Schnee! :-)

JottEff said...

Ohauerhauerha, Nebel des Grauens, wa?
Manchmal ist der Unterschied zwischen Südfinnland und Norddeutschland echt winzig, in fast jeder Hinsicht. Das ist wohl auch der Grund, warum ich hier ganz gut klar komme. Also: Warten auf die weiße Pracht auf beiden Seiten der Ostsee...