Saturday, October 22, 2011

B 1.1

Now it´s official: I am rated B 1.1 by language school Edupoli!

A short explanation for the ones of you who have never learned another language in (or in order to move to) another counry: The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is a guideline that describes achievements of learners of foreign languages across Europe and other countries. Main idea is to provide a method of learning, teaching and accessing that applies to all languages in Europe. The CEFR devides learners into three broad divisions which can again be devided into six levels. From level A (absolute beginner) you have to walk that rocky road all down to level C 2 if you want to transform into someone who is mistaken for a native speaker.

Not too long ago, this was a typical situation in class and all I understood was:



My personal pilgrimage brought me now to level B1.1, let´s have a look on what Wikipedia has to say about my current language skills:

"Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans."

I´m quite happy and also a little bit proud that I made it to this level in not much more than a year. My language courses gave me foundation but it was my job practice that boosted my courage to speak Finnish in a trial of fire. I have finally conquered my shyness! When it comes to my understanding I also feel like I´ve taken a leak leap, so depending on the speaker I nowadays might understand something like this:



Way to go, man! I start to wonder if it could be really possible to unlock the secret of the Finnish language one day.

2 comments:

Edo said...

Congrats Jan!
So in the best case B1.1 is the level I will reach at the end of the whole course. Hyvä tietä.

Probably there is no secretto learn this language, just time and perseverance.

Btw, very nice blog, I´ve read some posts already during the WE. It very interesting for me, because reading the older posts is like reading my past, and reading the newer is like reading my future, ahah!

Edo

JottEff said...

Ciao Edo!
Thanks for your words of wisdom, I´m glad you like the blog! Somehow we didn´t bump into each other during the last few days and now it is all over for me, my "career" in Edupoli has ceased to be. Let´s stay in touch, I can´t drink all that beer in Finland alone!

Nähdään...