Thursday, October 13, 2011

End of the tunnel?

I walked through that passage every day.
Unfortunately not. It´s the end of my työharjoittelu, the six weeks of my job training are over tomorrow. Almost scary how fast time went by. It was an overall great experience as I was given the opportunity to carry on my profession in Finland - and in Finnish!
Didn´t speak English one single day which wasn´t easy but eventually very beneficial. I liked my job, got along with everyone and was told on several occasions that my work was very appreciated.

So I had high hopes that the whole endeavor would result in a steady job but things didn´t pan out that way. To hear that the current situation is difficult and an employment not possible at the moment is pretty tiring. I have been through that already in Germany but why should it be any different here than in the rest of Europe? Here they call it lama, there they call it Rezession, I call it a pain in the ass!

Good thing is that the company offered the possibility to continue my training and I will take the offer if the red tape okays it. Please understand that the company´s name and details regarding my job remain unmentioned. Although I enjoyed my time there very much and I want to stay put, I´m still a firm believer in keeping work and spare time seperated. Just saying.

SONGS FOR TODAY:

The Rolling Stones - You can´t always get what you want

Therapy? - 30 Seconds

5 comments:

Ardo said...

Hey! Is there a reason why you keep that a secret where you were practicing you`re work and the language? Or its just not public information? Or maybe i just missed/didn`t understand. Just wondering...

Good luck!

JottEff said...

Moi Ardo,

I´m a bit paranoid about giving away work-related information on the internet.

Many employers nowadays check the web for information on their workers.

If I´d mention the company´s name here, all they´d need to do is google their moniker plus one or two keywords and they would end up here at LIFE IN HEL.

Even if I would have only good things to say about the company, they might not approve of how I spend my spare time which might cause problems in my work life.

Giving away information about my spare time is the blog´s reason d´être, so for me employer(s) and blog don´t mix.

I simply avoid a problem by not creating one in the first place.

Oh, and I DID mention the name of my language school. It´s EDUPOLI in Herttoniemi, very close to our old Finnish course.

Ardo said...

Yeah, thanks for the explanation. By the way i`ve seen lots of thous Edupoli "signs" around Helsinki and Vantaa. Didnt know its some language school.

Anyway good luck, and be prepared for winter :D

Anonymous said...

I should note that in Finland, it is illegal for a potential employer to do a web search on you unless you give them permission.

JottEff said...

Thanks for the info!
Some friends told me as well they´re not allowed to do that. Like said, I guess I´m a little paranoid...a virtue I´d like to maintain.