Saturday, December 24, 2011

Happy birthday, Lemmy!



Today the living, breathing, drinking, smoking speedfreak and rolemodel for all of us rockers, the epitome of rock ´n´roll itself, Lemmy Kilmister, turns 66. Too old to rock? Nope! Lem´s own Motörhead is currently on a tour that also brought them to Helsinki just a couple of days ago, unfortunately I couldn´t make it to the gig. Well, I must have seen them already at least ten times and it feels like there´s always a next chance as Lemmy just doesn´t seem to get tired of playing around the globe.

Motörhead and/or Lemmy will always have a very special place in my heart. When I heard the "No sleep ´til Hammersmith" album for the first time some 24 years ago, a whole new world opened up before me and everything changed for good. They are the embodiment of my three fave genres in music: punk, metal and rock ´n´roll. All under one roof, so to speak. Lem was born Ian Fraser Kilmister on the 24th of December, 1945 in Stoke-on-Trent, England. Come christmas, I´ve been raising the glass for many years to honor the man and this year I will not make an exception.



So without further ado, here´s to you, Lemmy!
Many happy returns, looks like you´re gonna outlive us all!


POST SCRIPTUM: Oh yes, and merry christmas to all my blogheads out there! Have a good one!



SONGS FOR TODAY:

Motörhead - No Class (Live from No sleep ´til Hammersmith)


Billy Idol - Yellin´ at the Christmas Tree

2 comments:

RossK said...

JottEff--

I have no idea how this has happened to a milquetoast guy from the left coast of Canada, but for some reason musical Heavy Metal stories from Helsinki have become most fun and interesting to me.

Well, actually, I do know - Thanks for all those stories.

Now.

Back to the topic at hand...

Which is Lemmy et al.'s 'Run Run Rudolph'.

.

JottEff said...

Hi Ross, thanks for your comment! I´m glad you like my Heavy Metal scribblings. There´s more to come! Great link btw, I didn´t remember that Lemmy has crooned some Xmas stuff himself.